Today I’m pleased to update Members on our new Youth Recovery Centre …. which opened April 1st in Summerside.
Mister Speaker, Islanders now have access to a beautiful facility here at home… that is dedicated to helping youth and families who are struggling with substance abuse and mental health issues.
Following an $800,000 renovation, the Centre offers bright and modern common spaces, classrooms and treatment areas …. designed especially for youth.
Access has been expanded in several areas:
• Intake is now done weekly… as opposed to every nine weeks
…. and instead of a long lineup there is no wait time….. and people can access services when they need them
• There are now 12 inpatient beds …. which is double the number we had before.
• Inpatient care is offered for up to 18 weeks… as opposed to eight weeks in the past.
• Community-based aftercare is available for 24 weeks…. up from 20 weeks.
• Family programs are now offered in both Charlottetown and Summerside… and families can receive support for as long as needed.
• Annual funding for the program has more than doubled from $1.1 million to $2.5 million.
• Staffing now includes:
– mental health therapists
– youth addictions counselors
– youth workers
– an occupational therapist
– an academic youth worker
– a family counselor
– various support staff
One of the program priorities is to ensure that youth are supported when they return to the community.
For example, an Academic Youth Worker works with the youth and the school to support educational needs while in treatment.
Staff also work with employers to ensure employment needs are part of the discharge planning process.
Mister Speaker, there is no quick fix for youth and families who are struggling with these tough issues.
But with this modern facility… expanded programming ….. and our excellent staff….
Island youth now have a much better chance at recovery and a more productive life.
Thank you Mister Speaker.